Chocolate toxicity

Is chocolate bad for your pet?

With Easter around the corner, it is important to know what hazards can exist for our pets. Chocolate may seem like an unassuming treat, but even a small amount of chocolate could be fatal to your pet.

Chocolate contains both caffeine and theobromine (a chemical compound found in the cacao plant). These ingredients can affect our pet’s nervous system and heart muscles, which can lead to devastating and potentially fatal outcomes. 

Prevention is best, keep your chocolate stash hidden away from pets and any family/friends you don’t want to share with. If you are cooking with chocolate, keep your pet’s clear of the kitchen area.

How do I know if my pet has eaten some chocolate?

If you do suspect your pet may have eaten some chocolate, call us straight away as symptoms can take up to three hours to show.

Some symptoms to look out for include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Increased urination
  • Restlessness
  • Hyperactivity
  • Twitching
  • And in severe cases, seizures.

If you have any more questions, please contact our team on (03) 5275-4575.